Friday, December 4, 2020

Final Post: Our Relationship with Technology

    

Technology has become one of the greatest inventions known to mankind. It has revolutionized our world as we know it. We now have faster ways to get from point A to B and more efficient ways to communicate with one another. While there are many obvious positives to technology, there are also many negatives to technology. Some obvious (hopefully) ones being that it takes up a ton of your time and can even drag you apart from the people you love most in this world. We all have relationships with technology. Have you ever thought if you have a healthy or unhealthy relationship with technology? Healthy relationships would be having good habits with technology and limiting your time on it. 
    As I reflect on my relationships with technology, I find that I have a healthy, but also an unhealthy relationship with technology. I tend to spend a lot of time on technology, but most of it is for school work. I also spend a lot of time on social media and games on my phone. These kinds of relationships are unhealthy because if I spend too much time on technology doing unproductive things, my mental health can deteriorate. I feel that I should definitely set more limits for my time on technology. Setting limits would be a very productive way to getting a fully healthy relationship with technology. You could allow yourself to only get on social media in the morning and at night. My issue is that I tend to get bored during the day, so I find myself scrolling through social media for the third time in 10 minutes. When I get bored, the best thing for me to do is to read a book, or maybe talk to a family member that I haven't talked to in a while. You could turn a negative about technology into a positive really quickly. If staring at a screen is taking up to much time (negative), then call a family member and have a nice conversation with them (positive). Many times we look at news on technology now because it more convenient and much quicker than getting a newspaper. Whenever I look at news on technology, I make sure to go on reliable websites such as Fox News or CNN. Many go on Twitter to get their news, and most of the time it is fake news. Growing up with technology, I found that most social media sites have fake news on them. In order to get the most reliable news, it is best to go on the news websites. 
    After self-reflecting on my relationship with technology, I now would encourage everyone to do the same. I have seen technology ruin people's relationships because of how unhealthy their relationship with technology is. It is important to self-reflect every once in a while to get your priorities straight. Technology is very helpful in life and an incredible invention, but it us very important to limit yourself so you do not waste your day to day lives on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post: Our Relationship with Technology

     Technology has become one of the greatest inventions known to mankind. It has revolutionized our world as we know it. We now have faste...